Abiomed, an innovative medical device company, is focused on recovering hearts and saving lives. We have a single guiding mission: “Patients First.” With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, offices in Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1,500 employees form one of the fastest growing medical technology companies in the world. Abiomed attracts and retains exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
The Medical Scientific Liaison (m/f/d) is responsible for supporting the European Abiomed Business Unit in establishing highest medical-scientific credibility with our customers. The Medical Scientific Liaison shall act as a medical-scientific expert between Abiomed and the medical community through the communication of medical-scientific evidence-based data and serves as an expert consultant to internal cross-functional partners within Abiomed by providing product related, evidence-based medical-scientific information/training, including educational support to the sales and marketing groups.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- In very close collaboration with the Physician Program Department and the Commercial Organization Europe the Medical Science Liaison (m/f/d) as a part of the EMEA Medical Affairs develops and implements the European medical-scientific communication strategy and tactics (aligned with the European business strategy)
- Serves as an information source and colleague to physicians and researchers through dissemination, clarification and education of medical-scientific/clinical evidence.
- Identifies and profiles potential pre-clinical and clinical trials investigators
- Responds to unsolicited off-label questions as appropriate through ‘one on one’ thought leader contacts and group presentations
- In the case of Speaker development, the Medical Liaison is responsible to ensure that speakers are thoroughly knowledgeable and trained utilizing the most current medical-scientific/clinical information related to Abiomed s products Collaborates with Medical Affairs and Clinical Affairs Europe in the dissemination of the European clinical research strategy
- May assist with design and development of pre-clinical and clinical research protocols to enhance evidence-based medicine objectives
- Supports the Director Medical Affairs & Director Clinical Affairs on the review of European Academic Research projects – serves as discriminator between Evidence Plan relevant projects, maybe and let go projects
- Serves as an expert resource on Abiomed’s products medical-scientific/clinical evidence and associated disease states to The Field Sales Force and other internal cross-functional groups including: Clinical Affairs, PACE, Health Economics and Reimbursement, Marketing and Marketing Communications, Research and Technology Development, Product Development Teams, Regulatory Affairs, Sales Management and Sales Training
- Medical/scientific background (MD, PharmD, or PhD with ideally 2 – 5 years of experience in the Pharmaceutical or Medical Device Industry)
- Proven understanding of the medical device or pharmaceutical area and healthcare system requirements
- Analytical skills and capability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific information
- Insight to determine sales and customer communication/education needs during product life cycle
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and fluency in English and German. Another European language is an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills are a must to be effective in a matrix organization and with customers
- Ability to communicate effectively with Thought Leaders
- Strong team player and mature personality that works effectively on cross-functional teams, with medical and non-medical professionals at all levels and in an international environment
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills with proven track record in the organization of medical-scientific events
ABIOMED is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to the policy of providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or national origin.